Saturday, June 14, 2008

On Father's Day- A Tribute to My Best Friends...

I have a good friend. Actually, I have a lot of good friends. Some are school friends, drinking friends, Church friends, or friends who buy me coffee. Others are friends that I see just once and a while; others are just acquaintances. There are two men, however, that I would call my best friends. No one knows them outside of the world they live in day after day. Yet the impact they have left on that world does not go unnoticed. So since tomorrow is Father's Day, I thought it only fitting to tell you about my two best friends.
The first is my dad, a decorated veteran of the Vietnam War and the single most important human influence in my life next to my mother and wife. Although life has often been unkind to him, he has never conceited defeat. In fact, the trials and struggles our good Lord has given him would have crushed other men; but not him. We have not always seen eye to eye on everything. There have been times in fact where I was down right disrespectful to him. Yet through all of my youthful angst, he always dealt with me justly and fairly. I am sorry that I was ever disrespectful to you. I am sorry that I treated you unkindly. Throughout it all, you have been a rock, a true dad, my best friend. I cannot think of a better man to honor on Father's Day, so to you dad, if you are reading this, I love you... Happy Father's Day.
The second man I would call my best friend is Tim Lyons. I met Tim and his family at Holy Family Catholic Church (see my post "God's Parish" here.) He is somewhat of a celebrity, a veritable Good Samaritan as the following article will demonstrate. Tim has a love for his faith that is recognizable the first time one meets him. He is also very self-conscious about his intelligence. Yet despite the fact that he does not have any formal education beyond high school, his understanding of otherwise abstruse concepts is outstanding. I am always amazed how quickly he understands things that take me days and sometimes months to figure out. His intellect and his faith allow him to stay one step ahead of a host of health problems that until recently went unnoticed. Yet, as with everything, he has carried and is carrying his cross joyfully. Thank you, buddy, for being an example to the rest of us Catholic men in the world!
While many people would be hard pressed to find one person they could call a best friend, I have two. To you my best friends, I say God bless you and Happy Father's Day.

3 comments:

KRISLYNNE LYONS said...

John,

Happy Father's Day to you too buddy! Thanks for the boost of my pride, now I need to go to confession!

Tim

KRISLYNNE LYONS said...

John,

What a sweet tribute to your dad and Tim. We love you all!

Happy Father's Day to you!

Krislynne

KRISLYNNE LYONS said...

Aaaaawwwwwww! That was so sweet, Mr. H! Happy Fathers Day! Give your family a hug for me.

Love,
Erin